Thursday, October 18, 2007

Some questions

Hi,

I have encouraged people from our region (members of two network which I facilitate) to join the network. I believe very soon you will have many new members. I was asked several questions about this network which I had no answers for some of them. One of the basic one is as follow:

The experience of many developing countries in international collaborations has not been very encouraging. Often, resources including people, data and etc have been used but at the end it has been some body else who has got the most credit. Look at the number of books, or research projects that is about developing countries but the author is from a developed countries. I have seen similar has happened and is happening in WHO and even IUHPE. This is for sure one of the barriers. The belief that developing countries have been used as a ladder for others, be it a journalist, a researcher or politician will prevent many to join. Many asked me what is guarantee that the same will not happen or does not happen in this network. Maybe some information about the way the steering committee, chair or etc will be appointed in future can help.

The other issue was about the equal opportunity for members to develop their capacity. For example, how we can help members from developing countries to have chance to work as a researcher or research assistant with IUHPE or other key centers which will help them to get known and be involved?. How we can help them to develop their skills to lead networks like this one, be confident and be heard?

For reasons such as language, communication barrier, politics , financial issues, low self confidence and etc, people from developing countries have much less opportunity in international level. This issue is one of my research interest as well (I am working on a research proposal to examine that). Is there equity in terms of membership in international committees, leadership positions of international groups and events? The answer is no. For example among the global presidents of IUHPE there is nobody from developing countries. Look at the editorial boards of international journals, similar patterns exist. That is the way many people from our countries would look at the international collaborations but will not dare to object.

When in IUHPE conference I asked why nobody from Africa or Middle East has not been asked as key speakers, but every body talks about Africa and diversity many clapped. After that two African ladies came and hugged me while they were in tears. You tell me ,why they should be so emotional? maybe I said something that they were thinking of for many years but they were shy to say, not confident to raise.

This is a complex issue, not easy solution. Developing countries should do their bit but developed countries also should give them more opportunity I hope this network can build the capacities for members from developing countries to play more role in future leadership of the IUHPE.

Looking forward hearing from you
Nastaran

3 comments:

IUHPE student and early career community said...

I am so happy to have this post here, and I deeply agree with the importance of all the issues you raise. In my opinion, you touch on the most important issues we as a network must work on. And, as a Norwegian, I am a bit embarrassed by the inequality in all of this.

The ISECN has not yet established the formal way of electing leaderships, chairs, etc. We are in a progress of establishing as a network, and every role has been taken by volunteers after calls through the mailing list. I hope to have Iranians and others shout out their eagerness to participate, and they will be most welcome to do so - also to have formal roles. At the same time, I would like to encourage all to respond to how you would like our network to be run.
We really need people who can voice the concerns of such large parts of the world.

Let us keep this discussion running

alexandra said...

I also agree with the importance of these issues you have raised. I firmly believe that our new network will consistently encourage input and opinions from around the world. I feel the challenge in equality is something our network is prepared to take on and work towards this common goal.

This discussion will also aid in determining how our formal way of electing leaders and officers will be established. I am also confident this method will be decided on and in full swing by the next IUHPE world conference in Hong Kong. It is imperative we continue to voice our concerns and learn from eachother to develop a powerful and meaningful network.

Anonymous said...

Dear Nastaran, it was so good to read your comments here. They make a valuable contribution to the work of both ISECN and IUHPE.

You describe something very important, something that people in developed countries are not necessarily aware of, or maybe do not see, which is the experience that people in developing countries have of being used as a ladder for people in developed countries to climb. You paint a very strong picture of the inherent inequality that lies in the relationship between developed and developing countries, and it is so important that this kind of experience, and others like it, are brought forth and made known so that we can work together towards creating balance and equal oportunities for all people, no matter where they come from.

I welcome you are your fellow countrymen to ISECN, and I look forward to working together with you all towards the achievement of common goals.

Best wishes
Gabrielle